Secure Your Free Messaging Apps: 8 Tips on Making Stronger Passwords
Free messaging apps enable us to connect with anyone in the world.
With best text apps on Android or iOS, having friends is easier. Gaining new friendships became more convenient. Strengthening existing friendships became possible, as well. Because of this, it’s essential to have a video chatting app and a messaging app nowadays.
But along with the benefits comes with risks. One of those risks is having a hacked account.
You may have the best text app for Android or IOS, but you can never be sure. As technology advances, hackers are also improving their ways.
Internet Users feel that their personal information is vulnerable
Statistics show that 72% of Internet Users in the U.S. feel that their information is vulnerable. Meanwhile, 11% have no idea if their data is vulnerable or not. There is also a possible increase in this because of the recent cybersecurity threats.
People are getting more concerned with their online privacy. In an era where your online credibility matters, getting hacked may bring danger.
What can a hacker do to my hacked account?
If you don’t do precautionary measures (such as letting your texting app have a weak password), the following is what a hacker can do to your texting app:
- Send malicious content to your Private Chat and Group Chat
- Hijack all your social media accounts
- Sell your information to other parties
- Use your private information for Blackmailing
- Ruin your online credibility by posting sensitive information on your profile.
- Steal your identity to catfish people online.
Listed above are just a few threats that could happen if you don’t set up a strong password. This is why despite having the best text app on android or IOS, account hacking can still happen.
Why Password Strength is important to your messaging app
A Password is a set of numbers, words, and characters. You use a Password to access a digital (whether offline or online) system.
It ensures an app, such as a free messaging app, is only accessed by the people who have the right to do so.
Meanwhile, Password Strength determines the password’s protection against hacking.
How do you protect your account thru passwords?
Websites and Apps are encouraging their new users to create stronger passwords to ensure their user’s safety. Aside from that, social media apps and websites are now enabling One Time Password or OTP as part of their authentication process.
What is One-Time-Password or OTP?
As this term was mentioned above, you may wonder about OTP or One-Time-Password and why you need this on the registration process. With OTPs, users will be logging on the social network through a unique password that can only be used once. Most social media platforms require users to do this once during the registration process, but some platforms are requiring their users to log in regularly using OTP. This is a usual practice with platforms that contain sensitive data, such as banks.
Why are OTPs important? This logging in mechanism prevents identity theft and provides strong authentication. It ensures that your social media or messaging account is safe from any possible threats.
8 Tips on Making Stronger Passwords for your Free Messaging App
There are new features to secure your free messaging apps or social platforms. But doing something on your part matters as well. Here are things to consider:
- Your password should include at least 12 characters.
- Stay away from obvious dictionary words and easily guessed details. If possible, go for a word you can’t find in the dictionary.
- Avoid using basic personal details, such as your birthday.
- Don’t use common substitutions (Ex. Number 0 for Letter O). As much possible, mix it up (Ex. Number 8 for Letter B)
- Update your password regularly. You can either keep a base password then add characters for complexity. You can also change the whole thing.
- Don’t reuse your Passwords. As much as you can, simply create new passwords for every social media or messaging account.
- Test it. You may check websites such as How Secure Is My Password to help you determine its strength.
- Use a Password Manager. Organizing your passwords could help, especially if you have tons of online accounts.
IT Devs are now Ensuring Free Messaging Apps with Stronger Security
New apps, such as this new social messaging app, are working their way to ensure that users are safe from any kind of online threat. More security features are integrated on apps and websites, like OTPs.
Yet again, working on a few extra steps to secure your account will be beneficial in the long run. Now, it’s up to you on what tools to use and tips to consider.